Saturday, July 16, 2011

Idea well is running dry

Where has all my creativity gone? Mayhaps it is my environment? Either way, I need it back. Gypsie and I are attending a Lammas Faire ( http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=230376633643646 ) at the end of this month, as vendors, this means that I need to get creative again with the making of my staves. I have a few that I have made, and I have the ones that have been around for quite a while. I have been told be people who run things like this that they wanted *ME* there because they like what I do and mine are very different from what most other people do. They are right, I never really paid much attention to what everyone else was doing when I started this, and i still do just what ever I want. I have made some beautiful pieces in the past, now, I can not get a decent idea to save my life. I have contemplated re-making some of the staves that went really quick, but that is nothing new, just a rehash of something else I have done.
As for the jerky,
*Off On A Tangent Here* typing the word "jerky" reminded me that my "k" key seldom works the first time anymore. It is non-existent, thans to a certain 2 y/o minion. so if you see typos here that are due to a missing "k" that is why.
I have only a small amount of the marinade left of the 2 best selling flavors of jerky. I can not find the recipes for them anywhere since the move. I am at a loss for creating new flavors, again, loss of creativity. There are some older flavors I could drag out that I would have to do from memory, and hope they come out right. Over all, I am feeling rather, well, stale. That is the only word I can think of right now. Something has to give here, and VERY soon, for my creativity. I even have pieces I have half started and I KNOW they need to be finished, but because of not nowing what to do with them, they linger, unfinished, collecting dust. I have nowhere to get fresh wood to wor with here either. I was lucky enough to have to foresight enough to bring many unfinished and raw wood with my from NC to here. But once that is gone, what then? Its almost like I dont want to finish them all because I dont want to come to the point of not being able to because of not having the materials.

BTW, I just acquired a small blueberry branch today while we were blueberry picking. I will be making a wand from that. There is just something very springy and fun about a blueberry wand, it maes me smile just thinking about it. hmm blueberry jerky? daring.. possibly? Why not?

2 comments:

  1. Blueberry jerky would work if you were making a PORK jerky, but not so much for a beef or chicken.

    As for creativity, I know what you mean, with the wedding coming up, my wood crafts have been laying neglected as well. Of course, that could also have something to do with the negativity at the location my wood is currently being stored, but that will be taken care of as of the end of the month, so hopefully I will be able to cleanse the wood before bringing it here and working on it.

    Have you thought about doing a meditation or mental cleansing before starting a piece? Maybe a protective mantra to keep you going, without letting any of the potential negativity around you influence your work?

    BTW, love the new background, it's much easier to read, not as busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sage and citrus one will go over well.. should make a small batch of that. along with the soco special. you've got the tropical heat one as well. #9 is gonna have to wait. as i'm at a loss as to where the cookbook went. i know there is some left over marinades for small batches, but well i don't know how big of a turn out we're gonna get.

    I have to agree, no blueberry jerky ..it's just not gonna mesh well with beef or chicken really.

    ReplyDelete